As an artist, I have dedicated myself to the subject that inspires me most, the equine form. I am drawn to the lines in a horse’s conformation; fluid, angular, curvaceous and graceful. In my artwork, I look for ways to express these contours, accentuating their energy and movement through colour, brushwork, and other tools. My work often encourages a strong connection between the horse and the viewer.
My process begins out in the field. In a paddock, there are usually one or two horses, often mares, that captivate my interest and evoke the desire to create. This happens through witnessing their character, movement and reflections of light on their coat; sometimes I am also inspired by the story of what the animal has brought to the humans in its life.
Back in my studio, I cover the walls with field notes, photographs and studies. As I am creating, I explore ideas on how I can expand and accentuate the lines that interest me the most. I know the work is complete when the story that I have woven with paint conjures the visceral memory of each horse and captures its unique presence on canvas.
I started my artistic career over 18 years ago in Ontario, Canada. I am proud to have longstanding relationships with my collectors. In the summer of 2013 I relocated with my family to Portland, Oregon. My studio is currently located in the village of Sellwood, SE Portland Oregon & I LOVE visitors! Alternatively, if you are on the East Coast, you can see some of my inventory at Equis Art Gallery, in the lovely hamlet of Red Hook, New York.
- Emerald Spring Exhibition National Juried Painting Competition “Emerge II”
- AAEA Spring Online Showcase “Emerge I”
- Canadian Living Magazine, March issue, Featured Artist, A Glimpse of Green Article.
- “Poppy” Juried into ExArte Equinus VI, Art Horse Magazine
- Relocated from Orangeville, Ontario, Canada to Portland, Oregon, USA
- Style at Home Magazine, Featured Artist, February issue, High/Low Article
- Workshop, Student Participant, Vicki McMurry, Wenmohs Ranch, Texas
- Horse Sport Magazine, October Issue – Editorial Contributor, Art on the Road, A Canadian Artist in Sweden
- HITS – Pfizer Millions, juried show selected artist
- Solo Show – June, Ale Ridsport, ÄLVÄNGEN, Sweden
- Style at Home Magazine, February Issue – Small Spaces, Featured Artist
- 2008/09 – Art Horse Magazine – “Untitled in Orange” juried Ex Arte Equinus show
- Student Participant, ‘In the Studio of Sargent’ Workshop, Academy of Realist Art Toronto
- Commissioned Artist – Gran Gesto, Canadian Olympic Dressage Team, Beijing, for rider Jacqueline Brooks, commissioned by Dutch Masters Construction
- Participating Artist – Le Cadeau du Cheval, Spruce Meadows, Alberta, Canada
- Horselife Magazine – “PS I Love You” cover photograph
- Art Horse Magazine – “Billy” juried Ex Arte Equinus show
2007 and previous
- Resident Artist, The Bartlett Gallery, Alton, Ontario
- Feature Article, Sidelines Magazine, Florida, USA
- 2001 – Present Member Equine Artist Guild
- 2006 – Featured Cover Artist, Horse Talk Magazine
- 2005 Art in the Yard, member of Juried show, Elora Ontario
- 2003 Hills of Erin Studio Tour, Open Studio, Erin, Ontario
- 2007 – Present – Member Headwaters Tourism
- 2001 – 2003 Working Artist Studio, Alton Mill, Alton, Ontario
- 2001 – Present Full-time Working Artist
- 1997 – 2001 Commercial Interior Designer, Toronto
- Board of Governors Medal Winner of ’97 Graduating Class, Sheridan College, Interior Design Program